Not fewer than 17 shops were razed after a petroleum tanker loaded with 33,000 litres of fuel, yesterday crashed into Nkwo Ogidi Market in Idemili North Local Government Area and burst into flames.
The inferno destroyed goods worth millions of naira.
An eyewitness, Chukwudi Arinze told newsmen that the vehicle, at about 11:00am was climbing the steeply section of the Chinua Achebe Bye Pass, from the expressway through the International Building Materials Market, but couldn’t get to Ugwunwasike Roundabout before the vehicle started rolling backwards.
He said the tanker fell in the market, thus spilling its contents into the adjoining routes behind the market, adding that people began to scoop fuel from the scene before the tanker exploded and the whole place burst into flames.
Ogbuli Oby, a fire officer from the state fire service also told newsmen at the site of the incident that their team responded immediately with the first fire truck stationed at the nearby building material market and also called for reinforcement from Onitsha Main Market and Okpoko, but the contents from the three trucks were dispensed while the fire kept on raging.
Line Chairman of the market, Valentine Nwabufo Okonkwo said he received a distress call over the incident but when he got to the market, thick billows of smoke had already covered the entire area.
He said 17 shops were destroyed completely while goods stocked by the owners who deal on different products have been damaged.
Media Officer of MFM FC, Olawale Quadri said on Sunday that the team was safe and sound after they were involved in an accident at Akungba, Ondo State.
The players and official were returning from Jos after the Match Day 5 fixtures of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL).
The Olukoya Boys, however, lost to the incumbent league winners Plateau United by a lone goal courtesy of a second-minute strike by Tosin Omolyele.
Quadri said though the bus conveying the team was badly damaged, most of the players escaped unscathed.
“The accident was unfortunate, but we thank God that no one sustained serious injury. I have read some reports that our coach was injured, nothing of such happened.
“We are safe and sound; we are presently in a hotel in Akure so that we can take off from there after some time so that the players can also have some rest.
“Some of the players that sustained minor injuries are being taken care of and they will join the rest of the team; we thank God for his protection.
“We hope to resume the journey as soon as possible and we also thank our fans too for their support and prayers, he told NAN.
A 45-year-old native medicine seller, Usman Saidu of Kakumi village in Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State was yesterday, kept behind bars over alleged criminal conspiracy and culpable homicide.
Saidu had on December 22, 2017, at Gobirawa village in Safana Local Government Area of the state, administered a native medicine that he claimed could repel bullets on one 27-year-old Aliyu Yahuza.
A Police prosecutor, Inspector Sani Ado, told Bakori Magistrate Court that after Yahuza drank the concoction, a dane gun was brought to test the efficacy of the medicine on him.
He added that Saidu reportedly fired at Yahuza’s chest, killing him on the spot.
According to Ado, the victim was later taken to General Hospital, Dustinma, where he was pronounced dead by medical doctors.
Ado added that “his corpse was photographed and then released to relatives for burial.”
According to the prosecutor, the offence was contrary to Sections 97 and 222(7) of the Penal Code.
Inspector Ado told the court that investigation was still in progress on the case and requested for an adjournment, which the court granted.
Hajiya Falila Dikko of the Magistrate Court, however, directed that Saidu be remanded in prison custody till February 22 when the matter would be heard.
Reno Omokri, former aide to ex-president Goodluck Jonathan has called on Nigerians to stop blaming People Democratic Party, PDP, for President Muhammadu Buhari’s son accident
This is reaction to a post by a Facebook user, Amir Wali, stating that the opposition party, PDP is to blame for Yusuf’s power bike accident which occurred on Tuesday night.
The post read: “Yusuf your father survived so shall you!! Insha Allah, this is the work of PDP
Reno Omokri via Twitter appealed to Nigerians to stop politicising the situation and pray for Yusuf’s recovery
He wrote “What sort of madness is this? There is no need to politicize everything.
“Allow this family to focus on the recovery of their only son without witch hunting the opposition.
“Yusuf, again I pray that God in His infinite mercy heals you and restores you as you were. In Jesus’ name.”
Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari has reportedly blamed his security aides for the incident.
President Muhammadu Buhari is reportedly unhappy with his security officials, for allowing his son, Yusuf, leave home at 8pm on Tuesday for power-bike racing.
Yusuf was reportedly racing with a friend when in an attempt to overtake a vehicle, he skidded off the road, sustaining injuries that made him unconscious.
The president’s only son was taken to Cedarcrest Hospital unconscious and doctors have been battling to stabilize him.
A source told THISDAY: “The president was at the hospital on Wednesday night. He was very devastated when he saw his son, Yusuf, in a very critical situation. He was shaking his head, while looking at his son and thereafter angrily reprimanded his security officials for allowing Yusuf to leave home at that time of the day for power-bike racing.
“From the way the president spoke, it appears the security aides are in trouble. He spoke angrily. The Minister of Interior, Lt-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau (rtd); his FCT ministry counterpart, Alhaji Mohammed Bello; and the Senate President’s wife, Mrs. Toyin Saraki; stayed throughout the night of Tuesday till Wednesday at the hospital with Hajia Aisha Buhari.
“While the doctors were working to stabilise him, Dambazau kept appealing to the doctors to do everything possible to stabilise Yusuf, saying the president would find it very difficult to bear the pain if anything happens to his son.”
President Muhammadu Buhari’s son, Yusuf has been flown out of Nigeria.
It is unclear the country he was taken to, but TheCable reported that he was flown out early Thursday morning.
The president’s only son also broke his limb in the Tuesday night accident, as confirmed by Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu.
As at Wednesday, Yusuf Buhari was still unconscious at the Cedacrest hospital in Abuja, the nation’s capital.
Three Soldiers and three other civilians were roasted to dead when a tanker carrying petrol exploded in Iwuru in Biase local government area of Cross River State.
DAILY POST reports that the truck was fully loaded with petroleum products.
The truck, in an attempt to avoid the deplorable part of the road swept and emptied the content.
After the crash, an eyewitness told our correspondent in the area on Friday that 3 soldiers, travelling in the opposite direction when the accident occurred, rushed to rescue the driver and the conductor but the tanker exploded into a hell of flame, burning them beyond recognition.
Her words, “When the tanker fell into the gutter, smoke started coming out and the soldiers who were in a vehicle heading to Calabar quickly stopped their van and went to rescue the driver and the conductor, suddenly the tanker burst into flames and they were caught in the fire.”
Among the victim were soldiers who was also trapped in the inferno but managed to escape with severe burns and was later rushed to the Akamkpa General Hospital for medical attention.
The following morning being Thursday, the fire was still smoking with the body of one of the soldiers found lying face down while those of the other two were found some meters away and left with just charred bones.
When contacted, Captain Owolabi, the Army Public Relations Officer of the Headquarters, 13 Brigade of the Nigerian Army in Calabar said he was yet to be briefed on the matter. “I am not aware of any such incident. Let me confirm and get back to you soon,” he said.
The incident is the second in the month of December. The first that occurred at the Scanobo area of the Calabar-Odukpani recorded no casualties.