Trending update as Bashir Rufai who happens to be one of the sons of Kaduna state governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has taken to Twitter to show to show his disappointment in President Buhari’s decision of the federal government to suspend the Nigerian Air carrier.
“We are devastated by the murder of our colleague Saifura,” said Eloi Fillion, the head of the ICRC delegation in Abuja.
The terrorist group also threatened to kill Hauwa Liman and Alice Ngaddah who were abducted alongside Khorsa in March 2018, as well as Leah Sharibu, the remaining Dapchi schoolgirl in Boko Haram captivity.
Leah, who has been in captivity for over 200 days, is one of the 100 schoolgirls kidnapped in Dapchi, Yobe State, by Boko Haram. But she was held back when others were released because she refused to renounce her Christian faith.
“The girls that returned said Leah said she will not deny Christ or turn to be a Muslim,” Leah’s father, Nathan said in an Interview.
The insurgents, however, claimed that they had contacted the government over the captives but did not get any response.
“We contacted the government through writing and also sent audio messages but the government has ignored us. So, here is a message of blood,” said a spokesman of the group who did not give his name.
This may be connected to as the sect late August released a 35-second online audio of Sharibu pleading for an urgent intervention by President Muhammadu Buhari to facilitate her rescue.
“I am Leah Sharibu… I am calling on the government and people of goodwill to intervene to get me out of my current situation”.
The recorded audio came months after the Nigerian government said negotiations for the rescue of the lone Christian girl were still ongoing.
The government admitted, however, that efforts to secure her release by the insurgents had been tortuous and complicated.
“The other nurse and midwife will be executed in a similar manner in one month, including Leah Sharibu,” the sect threatened.
This latest threat may be part of the indications, as predicted by Ahmad Salkida, a journalist with the knowledge of Boko Haram insurgency and Lake Chad crisis, that the sect may be on the verge of launching a large-scale attack in northeast Nigeria.
“The insurgents are busy piling up arms by overrunning one military base, after another, for something “big” and what could that be,” he tweeted on Saturday.
The rising regularity of Boko Haram attacks suggests that Salkida’s warning should be taken seriously.
“When attention was on #ISWAP attack on Guzamala yesterday, the group staged another daring attack on a military facility in Baga, Kukawa, on the shores of the #LakeChad,” Salkida said in another tweet on Sunday.
This warning is coming after Buhari in May said they have been “degraded” instead of “defeated” in what seemed to be a tacit acknowledgement of the difficulty of the task of curtailing the growth of the insurgents.
“The capacity of the insurgents has been degraded, leading to the re-establishment of the authority of government and the release of captives including, happily, 106 Chibok and 104 Dapchi girls, and over 16,000 other persons held by the Boko Haram,” Buhari said in a Democracy Day speech on May 29, 2018.
Recent attacks carried out by the two factions of Boko Haram indicate that the claim of them being defeated or degraded may have come too soon.
However, while reacting to the murder and the threats the Nigerian Government pledged its commitment to rescuing all captives.
“The government of Nigeria strongly condemns this reprehensible and inhuman act. No religion permits the killing of the innocent,” Garba Shehu, his senior special assistant on media and publicity said on Monday.
The president, therefore, appealed to Nigeria’s international partners and everyone with an influence on the sect to prevail on it “to stop these acts of extreme barbarism.”
Former Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) national chairman, Senator Barnabas Gemade has announced his defection from the PDP to the Social Democratic Party (SDP).
Gemade was one of the 14 All Progressives Congress (APC) Senators, who defected to the PDP a few weeks ago,
Giving reasons for his defection, Gemade claims that Governor Samuel Ortom betrayed him over Benue North East senatorial ticket.
A Kaduna Sharia Court, sitting in Magajin Gari, on Monday dissolved the marriage between Nuhu Usman and Rashida Aminu, over Nuhu’s failure to cater for the family.
The judge, Malam Musa Saad, dissolved the union after listening to both parties and their guardians.
Saad ordered Usman, the respondent, to give N10, 000 monthly allowances and a sack of corn monthly to Rashida, the petitioner.
“Based on the proof presented to court and the respondent not denying the allegations against him, I hereby dissolve the union between Nuhu Usman and Rashida Aminu,” he said.
Rashida had on Sept. 5 told the court that her husband had abandoned her and their nine children for more than a year.
She said her parents had been the ones taking care of her and the children.
“I want this honourable court to dissolve our marriage because of his irresponsible behaviour,’’ she said.
In his response, the respondent said he was a driver that travels inter-states to make ends meet, adding that he sends money at intervals
“I sent N30, 000 to her within the period she filed the case,’’ he said.
Usman who said he still loved his wife, prayed the court to give him more time to reconcile with her.
The judge had earlier requested the presence of the parties’ guardians, while only the petitioner’s guardian, Magaji Audu showed up.
Audu, who stated that he was the one that gave the petitioner out to marriage, explained that Usman had been irresponsible since after the marriage?
” Rashida’s father had given him a car to drive so that he could provide food for his family, but he lost the car”, he said.
According to Audu, Usman in 2003 in writing, agreed to be of good behavior and a responsible husband, after a misunderstanding he had with his wife.
He presented the written agreement to the court, which was shown to Usman.
Former Nigeria Military Head of State, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, has told Senate President, Bukola Saraki that he will support him in his bid to become president just the way his late father supported him during his failed presidential ambition.
“It is my turn to do what your father did to me”, Babangida said.
He said this when Saraki visited him in Minna, Niger State, as part of his nationwide campaign tour for the forthcoming Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, convention.
The former Head of State said he would treat the presidential aspirant as his own son and ensure that he succeed in his ambition
He pointed out that “I will rightly observe that you are my son, for coming to pay a courtesy visit.
“I remember when I was still in office, I spoke with your father, Oloye Saraki who was always providing advises on a number of things attached to this country.
“He always made himself available to me, to give advises and encouragement which will move the country forward.
“Your visit today is historical, now it is your time and turn to come to me and I will do just that.”
“You mentioned three things that are very dear to us as military, and we fought to get them to preserve them.
“They are unity of the country, the security of lives and the economic development.
“The security of the people and their well being of the ordinary man are the right objectives for campaign and leadership for this country.
“I commend you, you have my support for these three reasons you have itemised and I hope the people will listen to you.”
The Federal Road Safety Corps have set a date for its screening and physical assessment.
The Corps stated that recruitment exercise which commenced on 28 May 2018 with the uploading of the application forms on FRSC recruitment portal is scheduled to be conducted in all State capitals from Monday 24 to Saturday 29 September, 2018.
Corps Public Education Officer, Bisi Kazeem in a press statement, stated that applicants are advised to check their emails used for the submission of the applications on Wednesday 19 September 2018 for information on the screening and physical fitness assessment.
He stated, “The screening and physical fitness assessment of FRSC 2018 recruitment exercise which commenced on 28 May 2018 with the uploading of the application forms on FRSC recruitment portal is scheduled to be conducted in all State capitals from Monday 24 to Saturday 29 September, 2018.
“In a statement released by Bisi Kazeem, Corps Public Education Officer, FRSC, he stated that applicants are advised to check their emails used for the submission of the applications on Wednesday 19 September 2018 for information on the screening and physical fitness assessment. The email information shall contain the venue, date, time of screening and required items to be taken along for the exercise.
“Shortlisted applicants are to come with the summary data page earlier received and email notification slip which shall admit them to the screening venue.
“Any candidate without the print out of the summary data page and notification slip for this phase of the exercise shall not be admitted into the screening venue.”
The youth wing of the Arewa Consultative Forum, ACF, has declared that the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government is not sectional as being speculated in some quarters.
Speaking with peoplesattitude, President of the Forum, Yerima Shettima, insisted that the Buhari government was not sectional because even the Northern part of the country was not “feeling any impact” of his administration.
Shettima said this while reacting to Buhari’s appointment of Yusuf Magaji Bichi as the substantive Director-General of the Department of State Security, DSS.
peoplesattitude had reported that Bichi’s appointment generated controversies from all corners, with many accusing the president of nepotism.
Reacting to the appointment, Shettima said Buhari reserved the right to appoint who he feels would be loyal to him.
The ACF President stressed that Buhari may have lost confidence in the former Acting DSS DG, Seiyifa reason his appointment was not confirmed.
He said, “The appointment is at the discretion of the President. It is his right to appoint anyone in that capacity and it has to do with secret and you can’t give your secrets to someone you doubt, especially with the way politics is these days.
“To me, I see no issue there even though we are aware of the fact that Seiyifa was to retire any moment from now, but that not withstanding, if you can give somebody who is retired the appointment what about this one that is still in the service?
“However, maybe the President has no confidence in Sieyifa and I hope he gave the appointment in the interest of the country and on personal grounds.
“Loyalty to Nigeria must be hundred percent. Interest of the country must come first before any political appointment otherwise he will be remembered for his actions.”
On Bichi’s appointment portraying the Buhari government as being sectional, the ACF youth president said, “Well, for me every Commander-in-Chief will always look at people that are loyal to him and will always be on his side whenever this is any problem.
“Some of us feel that the Buhari government is running like a syndicate that only favours a few individuals and I think government should be all inclusive. Sectionally, I will say no because the North has seen the worst in terms of suffering.
“In area of education and everything we are the most suffered region, so he is not sectional. Some of us in the North are crying because we have been shortchanged.
“The Buhari government is in the hands of a few individuals and everything fails in that light.
“So, when you say sectional is like it is strictly a Northern affair but we are also not feeling any impact here.”
An Aide to the Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun has denied reports of her Resignation.
On Monday, it was widely reported that the minister has resigned from her position due to reports of her possession of a fake WAEC certificate.
According to Eyewitness reports, PoliticsNGR gathered that the minister’ s official vehicles and her personal staff were still seen at the ministry.
The re-election of President Muhammadu Buhari in the 2019 Presidential election would ensure the permanent return of peace to Borno State and the North East region, a governorship aspirant under the platform of All Progressives Congress (APC) from Borno has said.
Mamman Idris, after the submission of his Nomination and Expression of Interest forms at the National Secretariat of the party in Abuja, said the re-election of President Buhari would bring the needed peace necessary for the economic revival of the region.
Idris said: “We have to build on the success of Mr. President on the degradation of Boko Haram due to the leadership drive of President Buhari. It is our believe that if Mr. President is re-elected for the second term, Boko Haram will be completely eliminated and the peace that Borno used to enjoy will be restored.
“Invariably, the booming economy that Borno used to enjoy will be also restored. So it is our prayers and wish that Mr. President is re-elected so that he can compete the good job he started in Borno and the Northeast region”.
Idris, who expressed gratitude to Northern Borno elders for supporting the aspiration of the Southern Borno for the governorship seat noted that the gesture has dispelled insinuation of marginalization and the quest of the State for decentralization of political power.
Idris, from Southern Borno enjoyed the support of Northern Borno, who purchased the Nomination and Expression of Interest form for him.
He said: “I am overwhelmed and humbled by this gesture whereby my Northern Borno elder were the ones that procure the Nomination form me, from Southern Borno.
“In reality, Southern Borno has not produced a governor whereas both North and Central Borno have produced governors three times. So, this show of solidarity is significant in the history of our State because it has never happened before.
“This show of solidarity has placed on us a responsibility to have an all-inclusive government. We cannot afford to do otherwise because so much faith has been imposed on us by the majority that has shown us this huge level of support”.
The aspirant said with a 180-page road-map for his governorship tenure, return and sustenance of peace, as well as revival of Borno economy through agriculture and industries would be his priority, “We have to ensure that the people return to the land for agriculture.
“The people have suffered from years of insurgency that displaced them, so we have to implement the road-map to the letter so that the people can return to the land, get back their dignity, reintegrate them, sustain peace and reconstruct Borno.
“People come from far an near, even outside the country to come and trade in Borno, but insurgency disrupted everything, so we have to deliberately plan and execute policies that will bring back Borno,” Idris added.
Ahead of 2019 general elections, the Director National Youths Service Corps (NYSC), Community Development Service and Special Projects, Yusuf Steve, has warned corps members to be wary of politicians.
He said the corps members should resist attempt by politicians to use them to perpetrate electoral malpractices during the planned exercise.
Mr Steve gave the warning on Thursday while addressing the 2018 Adamawa/Taraba Batch ‘B’ Stream 11 Corps Members at Damare Camp near Yola.
He said corps members that would work as INEC Ad-Hoc staff for the 2019 general elections must discharge their assignment properly.
“Be wary of allowing yourself to be used for political advancement of any politician; you are not supposed to show political activism.
“Some of you will be used as ad-hoc staff for election and you are expected to go into this with high level of integrity.
“Discharge yourself creditably well in a manner that the corporate image of the NYSC will not be dented,” Mr Steve said.
He reiterated the commitment of the scheme to corps members’ security and welfare but added that the scheme would be more through in the supervision of their social activities due to recent the drowning of some corps members in Taraba that went for picnic.
“There will be more invasion of your privacy; you now need to take permission for your social activities.
“All social activities must be permitted officially and all travels must have approval.”
Earlier, the Adamawa Coordinator of NYSC, Abubakar Mohammed, said 1,558 corps members were registered in the camp, made up of 1,010 for Adamawa and 548 for Taraba.
Mr Mohammed said that activities were going on smoothly in the camp, including steady water and electricity supply.
“I am pleased to report that these corps members have displayed high level of discipline and impressive moral standard in their interactions with one another and camp officials.
“This is largely because from the onset, we are able to instil in them the basic tenets of the NYSC,” Mr Mohammed said.